9.09.2008

kidney update


elli had her second v.c.u.g today (no idea what that stands for), but it's basically a bunch of different procedures that asseses her kidney, ureter and bladder function. first was the ultrasound, and about 5 seconds after i took this picture she turned into a crazy lady. she was NOT happy.




then came the catheter and the x-ray. for this test they had to bind her legs together so she didn't kick out her catheter, fill her bladder with liquid (i think it's some kind of dye) and then they took x-rays while she peed the liquid out. she got a sucker for this test, but there were still some tears. hence the blotchy pink face.










she had the first v.c.u.g. done when she was 4 weeks old, and back then her kidney reflux was at a stage 5, which is the worst it can get. well, today the news was much better. her condition has downgraded to a 2 or 3 and at this point they're thinking that surgery won't be necessary! so unless things change, she doesn't have to go back in for another year! hooray!

12 comments:

PrincessKatie said...

Poor baby. Glad that things are looking good for you. I bet that was so sad to watch her have to go through all of that.

Ginger said...

How sad that she went through that but congrats on the better numbers! She looked awfully cute at Target today when I saw you there.

Kristina P. said...

Poor thing. She's adorable though, even all red and splotchty.

Sedge said...

Great News! She is a brave girl and so darling. The suckers alway help. I wish they would give them to me when I go...

Toni said...

What a doll, poor girl. I am so glad that things are looking better, Hooray! Less torture for you and her.

Holly Strong said...

What awesome news! You're such a trooper Laura and so is Ellie. It's so hard to watch your little one go through all of that. I remember when Matthew was about Ellie's age, he had to have another ECHO. Well, he wanted nothing to do with it, so after a hours (around 2) in the hospital for a stinking appointment they informed me that thye needed to do it all again next week, but this time he had to be put to sleep. I was a wreck and so mot happy about it. But, things went well. We go in again the end of October for his heart, so I feel for you.

Jon, Britt & the boys said...

Oh, poor Ellie! I'm glad things are better. And... yes she is so cute. It's so hard on us mommies when our kiddies have to do stuff like that!

The Buckley's said...

Poor thing! I am so glad it looks better and that she won't need surgery! Yeah! She looks so much like kennedy, I can't believe it.

Carrie said...

Excellent news! I remember when you were prego with Ellie and everything about her kidneys were super sketchy and scary. The passing of time has been a true blessing. Way to go Ellie!!! She'll probably have a fighting spirit her whole life....watch out for those teenage years! J/K!

The Airharts said...

WoW!!!!I am so excited for you guys-thats great news. At least she wont remeber the torture!Hey what days does tom have off in OCT?

Megan said...

i'm with you...hooray!!!! what a sweet little sister. i hate when babies are sick.

but, thank heavens for PCMC.

Eden said...

I had no idea she had a kidney problem--where have I been? poor little sweetheart! How did you know something was wrong?