12.14.2009

the power of negotiating

i haven't posted in awhile, so i thought i'd share my fun mirror i got!

i've been on the lookout for a big mirror ever since we moved into our house because there's a huge wall over the stairwell. however, the mirrors in the size i wanted were waaaaaaay out of my price range.

until i found this one!



the original price for it was $225 but the store was having a 50% off sale, and i noticed that it had a little nick on the bottom of the frame so my mom, sister and i haggled the sales lady down to $75! and then i just filled in the nick with a black sharpie!

i learned from a very young age that prices are usually negotiable and that you can talk just about anyone down. i remember if my mom wanted something from a store that had a male sales associate, she'd call my sister up and make her go in and talk to him so he'd give her a "pretty girl discount", and yes, it worked everytime! (we have no shame. and notice she never called me to get the "pretty girl discount" for her... what up with that, mom?)

anyway, the point of this post is that you shouldn't be afraid to try and get a better price on things you really want, cause you'll usually end up coming out with a great deal!

6 comments:

Eden said...

and might I add . . . what up with your house being SPOTLESS in every picture?? what is your secret????????

Megan said...

the reason mom only asked me is because i'm the prettier sister...duh.

actually, it's because I was the only one who would DO do it.

dennisandsong said...

Can I come live at your house? It really seems like it is out of a magazine. It seems so peaceful!! Love the mirror, I agree about getting a good deal. It may require some patients but you can always do better than regular price!!

Chelsea said...

what a fantastic skill. I usually wait until I can find one at a yardsale, but I'd MUCH rather have one from a store, simply for the ability to return it.

Nice work, Laura! And I agree, your house always looks spotless.

Mom / Jolene said...

Now, how am I supposed to respond to that? :)

Sedge said...

Great ideas! the mirror looks good there. it will open up that area even more. You are such a creative girl...